This document contains the following sections:
About This Release
ICEfaces v2.0 Alpha 1 is an early developer milestone for the
next-generation of ICEfaces, designed for JSF 2.0.
Review the Known
prior to using this release. Review the Migration Notes
if you plan to port an existing ICEfaces 1.x application with 2.0 Alpha
This release includes the following:
ICEfaces 2.0 Core
The new ICEfaces 2.0 ("Glimmer") core is suitable for deployment to any
JSF 2.0.1 runtime environment. By deploying the icefaces.jar in a JSF 2
application you can immediately benefit from ICEfaces Direct-to-Dom
architecture, with all page updates becoming smooth partial-page
updates without requiring use of the JSF 2 f:ajax tag (of course, using
f:ajax works also).
Internally, the changes are significant, and many simplifications
were possible within ICEfaces through use of the standard JSF Ajax
features (such as PartialViewContext and jsf.js). For the application
developer, though, the major changes at this point lie with JSF 2.0
itself. For instance, two significant benefits from JSF 2.0 are that
Facelets is now standard, and that you have the option to use
annotations rather than faces-config.xml for managed bean definitions.
- new packaging,
- a new push API,
- Servlet 3.0 implementations are automatically detected to take
advantage of asynchronous NIO features.
- 3rd party library dependencies have been minimized / eliminated
for simplified configuration and deployment.
- No need for a separate ICEfaces servlet configuration.
- No custom ICEfaces view-handler is required thereby improving
integration with "well-behaved" 3rd party JSF components.
- the icefaces.jar must be in the classpath
<f:view> tag must be the first tag on the
page, preceding the
HTML tag (
<f:view> tag must configure the "
Note that the new ICEfaces core is not
directly backwards compatible with ICEfaces 1.x applications. Anyone
wanting to port and existing ICEfaces 1.x application to ICEfaces 2.0
should see the following section on "ICEfaces 1.x Compatibility
ICEfaces 1.x Compatibility Support
To ease the effort required to port existing ICEfaces 1.x applications
to the JSF2/ICEfaces 2.0 this release includes the following
ICEfaces 1.8 Compatibility APIs
ICEfaces 1.8 Compatible Component Suite
- Provides the ICEfaces 1.8 Component Suite in an ICEfaces 2.0
- Requires the ICEfaces 1.8 Compatibility APIs.
- Contained in the icefaces-comps-compat.jar
The following sample applications are included:
- Auction (
- Demonstrates using JSF2 standard components with ICEfaces and
Ajax Push to provide an online auction application.
- Auction Monitor (
- Demonstrates running the ICEfaces 1.8 version of the
auctionMonitor sample application with ICEfaces 2 using the ICEfaces
compatibility jars (
- Component Showcase (
- Demonstrates running the ICEfaces 1.8 version of the Component
Showcase sample application with ICEfaces 2 using the ICEfaces 1.8
compatibility jars (
This release requires the following:
- JDK 1.5 or greater
- Sun "Mojarra" JSF 2.0.1 runtime (included).
The following section describes the most commonly
issues with this release:
- JSPs are not supported by ICEfaces 2.0, use Facelets instead.
- The included sample application .wars and builds are targeted for
to Tomcat 6. The included libraries may need to be altered if deploying
to other application servers. See "Appendix
- ICEfaces Library/App. Server Dependencies" of the "ICEfaces 1.8
Developer's Guide" for more details.
- The compatible ICEfaces Component Suite included in this release
is based on the ICEfaces 1.8.0 components. The components will be
updated to the latest ICEfaces 1.8.x version in a future ICEfaces 2.0
- The following ICEfaces 1.8 Component Suite components are not
functional or have notable issues in this release:
- ice:outputBody (use h:body instead)
- ice:outputHead (use h:head instead)
- ice:outputHtml (use <HTML> tag instead)
- ice:panelPopup (works, but has glitches with some settings, see
- ice:selectInputText (works, but is glitchy, see ICE-5033
- In some cases an
NullPointerException may be logged
This runtime error can be safely ignored.
Open source community support is available at http://www.icefaces.org.
ICEfaces delivers extensions to Java ServerFaces
(JSF) that provide
AJAX-enabled rich presentation environment for JSF applications.
brings value to any Java EE development project that needs to provide
presentation capabilities to the web application user. In particular,
ICEfaces provides the following features:
- Smooth, incremental page updates that do not
require a full page
refresh to achieve presentation changes in the application.
asynchronous presentation updates for dynamic
instantaneous data push (Ajax Push).
- The ICEfaces Component
Suite, a complete rich JSF component suite
that fully leverages ICEfaces capabilities.
support for rapid development of group-aware and
collaborative applications, such as Chat, Webcast, social apps., etc.
License agreements can be found in the
2005-2009 ICEsoft Technologies, Inc.